BICOL REGION

The region is located at the Southern stretch of Luzon, the largest island in the Philippines, and is surrounded by natural barriers. Bounded by Lamon Bay (north); Pacific Ocean (east); and Sibuyan Sea and Ragay Gulf (west), it has access to the rest of Luzon through its neighboring province, Quezon.

Of the region's six provinces, four are contiguous - Albay, Camarines Sur, Camarines Norte and Sorsogon while two are island provinces - Masbate and Catanduanes. With total land area of 1,811,400 has. or 18,114 sq.km. (Camarines Sur, the largest occupies 526,682 has. or around 30% while Catanduanes, the smallest has 151,148 has. or 8.6%) around 71% is alienable and disposable while the remaining 29% id public forest area.

There are 16 congressional districts; seven cities; 107 municipalities and 3,471 barangays. The population is estimated to reach 5.7 million in 2010.

The region's banner commodities are pili, coconut, abaca, pineapple,corn and rice. Other important crops include rootcrops, vegetables, fruits, beverage plants and peanuts. Livestock and poultry consisting of carabao, cattle, swine, goat, chicken and ducks also contribute to region's comparative advantage. Aside from agricultural products, other traditional exports are home furnishing, gifts, holiday decor, wearables and marine products.

The mining, energy, IT, and eco-tourism subsectors indicate strong potentials for investment that could propel the region's economy.
(with experts from NSCB, NSO and BAS websites)

About DOST Region V

DOST started as the National Science Development Board (NSDB) in 1958 thru RA 2067. It was reorganized as the National Science Technology Authority (NSTA) on 17 March 1982, and vested with boarder policy-making and program implementing functions.

On 30 January 1987, NSTA was elevated to become the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) under Executive Order (EO) No. 128. DOST's functions and responsibilities were further expanded to enable it to pursue the declared state policy to support local scientific and technological efforts, develop local scientific and technological efforts, develop local capability to achieve technological self-reliance, promote public and private sector partnership in S&T activities, and encourage the private sector to take a greater role in R&D activities. Pursuant to the provisions of Section 31 of EO 128, the DOST is also authorized to establish regional or field extension offices as may be necessary.

Three years later, the Provincial S&T Centers (PSTCs) were created through Rebublic Act 6959 on 31 July 1990, which led to the establishment of PSTCs in every province of the country under the Regional Offices.

DOST V extends its services to the six (6) provinces through the Provincial Science and Technology Offices (PSTOs) located in key areas of the provinces of the region.

Vision

DOST V sees a region where knowledge, creativity and innovation contribute to economic growth to alleviate poverty and improve the quality of life of Bicolanos.

Mission

Judiciously harness and maximize the potential of S&T in the economic development of the region on a sustainable basis through strategic partnership with MSMEs, NGOs/POs, the academe and other government agencies.

A brief profile of Bicol Region
CapitalRegional Center Site, Rawis, Legaspi City 4500
Population5,420,411
Area1,813,908 ha.
Provinces6
Cities7
Municipalities107
Barangays3471
Congressional Districts0
TOP EXPORTS
    No Top Export Yet

Province

Land Area
(sq. km.)1
No. of Districts
No. of Municipalities
No. of Cities

Albay

1
1
1
1

Camarines Norte

1
1
1
1

Camarines Sur

11
1

Catanduanes

1
1
111
1

Masbate

1
1
1
1

Sorsogon

1
1
1
1
Bicol Region
5
16
116
5

Sources

1.) http://www.nscb.gov.ph/ru5/overview/default.html